- A R Rahman ventures into script-writing, film productionWatch 10 hottest moves of MonicaSushant Singh turns Detective Byomkesh BakshyWhy Dum Laga Ke Haisha is a must-watch movieFan Commits Suicide For Selena GomezAnushka turns vegetarian for Virat?PM Modi, Sonia and Bachchans attend Mulayam-Lalu family weddingAmitabh Bachchan, Ambanies pay homage to KothariScarlett facing legal issues for Pop BandLady Gaga to marry at her Malibu mansion?
Table Tennis giants China have made a few changes in their squad for the Asian Cup.
Taxing super-rich could be counter-productive: Aditya Puri Last Updated : 19 Feb 2013 01:35:24 PM IST Taxing super-rich could be counter-productive: Aditya Puri
HDFC Bank Managing Director Aditya Puri on Tuesday said the idea of taxing the super-rich could prove counter-productive and lead to evasions.
"If you go back in the last 50 years, in any country,it has proved counter-productive. If you are charging the super-rich more, they know how to do their tax planning and you only lead to an evasion," he told reporters on the sidelines of a co-branded credit card, targeting the youth, launched by HDFC Bank and Times Card.
Finance Minister P Chidambaram had last month said that "when the economy requires, government requires more resources, the very rich willingly should pay a little more". The comments had stirred up a debate making investors looking for a stable tax regime uneasy.
Clarifying that he is neither against the move and nor supporting it, Puri said though it was "a good political move it does not serve any purpose".
Asked for his expectations from the Union Budget to be presented on February 28, Puri said one should be happy if Chidambaram delivers on whatever he has been promising lately.
"I would be very happy if Mr Chidambaram is able to produce what he says is going to produce," Puri said, adding that he would watch out for areas like fiscal deficit,arresting subsidy burden and steps to revive investors' sentiment in the budget.
In a bid to woo global investors, Chidambaram had done a series of road shows in financial centres like Hong Kong,Singapore and Frankfurt affirming the government's commitment to the reform process and resolve to stick to the road-map of fiscal consolidation.
Puri informed that HDFC Bank is the largest player in the credit cards business, commanding a 35 per cent market share, and its portfolio stands at Rs 10,000 crore, the largest in the industry.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Shahrukh Khan is enjoying shooting for Maneesh Sharma's "Fan" as the director, who has liv
- OMG! Anushka rejects Salman Khan
- A R Rahman ventures into script-writing, film production
- Watch 10 hottest moves of Monica
- Sushant Singh turns Detective Byomkesh Bakshy
- Why Dum Laga Ke Haisha is a must-watch movie
- Fan Commits Suicide For Selena Gomez
- Anushka turns vegetarian for Virat?
- Amitabh Bachchan, Ambanies pay homage to Kothari
Miss P became America's top dog by winning best in show at the Westminster Kennel Club.
Google is releasing a set of tools designed for businesses and employees who want to get w