- Tanu weds Manu takes box office by stormFirst look of 'Bombairiya' unveiledSalman has Hollywood offer from SylvesterPamela Anderson ready to date guys againEva Green ditched her natural hairSofia's ex seek custody of embryosWhy Cara Delevingne is angry?Old foes MI, CSK to meet in IPL finalPamela to launch photo bookWhy Karan Johar's loss will be YRF's gain?
India's Deepa Kumari has been promoted as the international hockey umpire by the Internati
Taxing super-rich could be counter-productive: Aditya Puri Last Updated : 19 Feb 2013 01:35:24 PM IST Taxing super-rich could be counter-productive: Aditya Puri
HDFC Bank Managing Director Aditya Puri on Tuesday said the idea of taxing the super-rich could prove counter-productive and lead to evasions.
"If you go back in the last 50 years, in any country,it has proved counter-productive. If you are charging the super-rich more, they know how to do their tax planning and you only lead to an evasion," he told reporters on the sidelines of a co-branded credit card, targeting the youth, launched by HDFC Bank and Times Card.
Finance Minister P Chidambaram had last month said that "when the economy requires, government requires more resources, the very rich willingly should pay a little more". The comments had stirred up a debate making investors looking for a stable tax regime uneasy.
Clarifying that he is neither against the move and nor supporting it, Puri said though it was "a good political move it does not serve any purpose".
Asked for his expectations from the Union Budget to be presented on February 28, Puri said one should be happy if Chidambaram delivers on whatever he has been promising lately.
"I would be very happy if Mr Chidambaram is able to produce what he says is going to produce," Puri said, adding that he would watch out for areas like fiscal deficit,arresting subsidy burden and steps to revive investors' sentiment in the budget.
In a bid to woo global investors, Chidambaram had done a series of road shows in financial centres like Hong Kong,Singapore and Frankfurt affirming the government's commitment to the reform process and resolve to stick to the road-map of fiscal consolidation.
Puri informed that HDFC Bank is the largest player in the credit cards business, commanding a 35 per cent market share, and its portfolio stands at Rs 10,000 crore, the largest in the industry.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Oops! Bollywood's pretty lady Anushka Sharma has exhausted herself and was falling ill. Ev
- PICS:Whom Khloe Kardashian dating now?
- Tanu weds Manu takes box office by storm
- FIR, obscenity case against Sunny Leone
- Raj Babbar, Salma Agha to reunite
- First look of 'Bombairiya' unveiled
- Salman has Hollywood offer from Sylvester
- Pamela Anderson ready to date guys again
- Eva Green ditched her natural hair
An American woman, said to be the oldest living person in the world, has celebrated her 11
Government is setting up a centre that will detect malicious programmes like 'botnets' and