- Know all about Yuvraj-Hazel December weddingSmall screen celebrities who were fired from their jobsDid you find SRK in 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil''Banjo': tedious, but braveMovie review 'Parched'These Bollywood films get affected by MNS diktatIncomplete Bollywood love storiesBollywood Biopics, saluting sports spiritExplore spiritual getaways in IndiaLagaan... based ride finds place at Dubai theme park
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday congratulated Indian medallists at the recently-hel
Food inflation a credit negative for India: Moody's Last Updated : 18 Mar 2013 04:54:49 PM IST Food inflation not good for India: Moody's
"Sustained food inflation is credit negative because it exacerbates India's macroeconomic challenges of slowing growth, high inflation and large fiscal and current account deficits," Moody's Investors Service said in credit outlook report.
While Fitch and Standard and Poor's have downgraded their outlook on India to "negative" from "stable", Moody's Investors Service has assigned a "stable" outlook.
The Wholesale Price Index for February showed that food prices increased by 11.4 per cent year-on-year, raising overall inflation for the month to 6.8 per cent, despite a deceleration in core inflation to 3.8 per cent.
Moody's said India's current pace of food inflation is faster than the global average.
"Moreover, although food inflation is not desirable anywhere, it has particularly credit negative implications for India because of its economic structure and policy framework," it added.
Food inflation, it said, "hurts consumption, government finances, the balance of payments and monetary policy flexibility".
"Because the Indian government subsidises food for a large portion of the population, increases in food prices inflate government expenditure...and the budget deficit, which is already high relative to comparable emerging markets," Moody's' said.
As per the credit ratings agency, food demand is unlikely to fall, and food supply is difficult to raise.
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
As MNS workers protested outside filmmaker Karan Johar's office here on Tuesday over Pakis
- Pakistani actors must condemn attack on Indians: Anupam Kher
- 'Modern Family' to feature transgender child actor
- When Tanya Sharma turned English teacher for poor
- Watch second trailer of 'Mirzya'
- Lisa Haydon announces her marriage
- Aarti Chabria wants to assist Farah Khan
- Film Festivals purest form of education for budding filmmakers: Arjun Kapoor
- April Florio tired of being linked to Brad Pitt
Using state-of-the-art equipment, Australian researchers have managed to solve an 800-yea
Samsung India on Tuesday launched its 4G and VOLTE-enabled smartphone Galaxy On8 with a ho