- Brangelina honeymoon in the MediterraneanMeet Javed Jaffrey\'s teenage daughter AlaviyaNeha Dhupia\'s birthday celebrations photosMalaika gets another tattooTwitter war:Russia responds to Canada\'s colorful map diplomacyPriyanka's 'Teacher's Day' gift to Mary KomBollywood brings home GanpatiParineeti suffers wardrobe malfunctionSee famous kisses of Emraan HashmiWatch \'Bigg Boss 8\' latest teaser
Former Italy great Alessandro Del Piero will play for the Delhi franchise of the Indian S
Food inflation a credit negative for India: Moody's Last Updated : 18 Mar 2013 04:54:49 PM IST Food inflation not good for India: Moody's
"Sustained food inflation is credit negative because it exacerbates India's macroeconomic challenges of slowing growth, high inflation and large fiscal and current account deficits," Moody's Investors Service said in credit outlook report.
While Fitch and Standard and Poor's have downgraded their outlook on India to "negative" from "stable", Moody's Investors Service has assigned a "stable" outlook.
The Wholesale Price Index for February showed that food prices increased by 11.4 per cent year-on-year, raising overall inflation for the month to 6.8 per cent, despite a deceleration in core inflation to 3.8 per cent.
Moody's said India's current pace of food inflation is faster than the global average.
"Moreover, although food inflation is not desirable anywhere, it has particularly credit negative implications for India because of its economic structure and policy framework," it added.
Food inflation, it said, "hurts consumption, government finances, the balance of payments and monetary policy flexibility".
"Because the Indian government subsidises food for a large portion of the population, increases in food prices inflate government expenditure...and the budget deficit, which is already high relative to comparable emerging markets," Moody's' said.
As per the credit ratings agency, food demand is unlikely to fall, and food supply is difficult to raise.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie will go for honeymoon in the Mediterranean.Four days after ma
- First look of Rajinikanth's 'Lingaa' unveiled
- Meet Javed Jaffrey's teenage daughter Alaviya
- Neha Dhupia's birthday celebrations photos
- Malaika gets another tattoo
- Naga Chaitanya’s Oka Laila Kosam first look out
- Priyanka's 'Teacher's Day' gift to Mary Kom
- Bollywood brings home Ganpati
- Parineeti suffers wardrobe malfunction
For years scientists have theorized about how large rocks some weighing hundreds of pound
Tech giant Apple is expected to unveil a larger screen version of its popular iPhone along