- Bollywood\'s hottest debutants in 2014, view picsSallu fans want to see him with Aish in a movie!Why SRK, Sanju did not attend Sall\'s birthday?See Salman stark naked, and other unseen rare picsDo you know what Salman wants as his birthday gift?PICS: Inside Salman\'s birthday bashHas Kangana hinted about her affair with Hrithik?PICS: Salman's birthday bash 2014When Salman Khan almost got marriedShocking Bollywood untold stories
Young Kidambi Srikanth continued his meteoric rise in world badminton as he ended the seas
Food inflation a credit negative for India: Moody's Last Updated : 18 Mar 2013 04:54:49 PM IST Food inflation not good for India: Moody's
"Sustained food inflation is credit negative because it exacerbates India's macroeconomic challenges of slowing growth, high inflation and large fiscal and current account deficits," Moody's Investors Service said in credit outlook report.
While Fitch and Standard and Poor's have downgraded their outlook on India to "negative" from "stable", Moody's Investors Service has assigned a "stable" outlook.
The Wholesale Price Index for February showed that food prices increased by 11.4 per cent year-on-year, raising overall inflation for the month to 6.8 per cent, despite a deceleration in core inflation to 3.8 per cent.
Moody's said India's current pace of food inflation is faster than the global average.
"Moreover, although food inflation is not desirable anywhere, it has particularly credit negative implications for India because of its economic structure and policy framework," it added.
Food inflation, it said, "hurts consumption, government finances, the balance of payments and monetary policy flexibility".
"Because the Indian government subsidises food for a large portion of the population, increases in food prices inflate government expenditure...and the budget deficit, which is already high relative to comparable emerging markets," Moody's' said.
As per the credit ratings agency, food demand is unlikely to fall, and food supply is difficult to raise.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Malayalam actor Anoop Menon on Saturday married his long time friend Shema Alexander.
- Bollywood's hottest debutants in 2014, view pics
- Sallu fans want to see him with Aish in a movie!
- Why SRK, Sanju did not attend Sall's birthday?
- See Salman stark naked, and other unseen rare pics
- Do you know what Salman wants as his birthday gift?
- PICS: Inside Salman's birthday bash
- Has Kangana hinted about her affair with Hrithik?
- PICS: Salman's birthday bash 2014
Eight coffins from Qing Dynasty (1636-1912) imperial figures, including Emperor Qianlong
India will surpass the US as the second largest market for smartphones globally by 2016.