- Andamans gets a leg-up to showcase heritageFIRST LOOK: Varun, Alia in 'Badrinath Ki Dulhania'Care for your hair in simple steps this summer!Uttarakhand turns to trekking to boost tourist footfalls'DDLJ' is Bollywood's most evergreen love story: SurveySteps to buy sunglassesGo the foreign way while munching French friesBaaghi collects 35 crores in opening weekendBipasha shares her 'monkey wedding' picsBig B gets inspiration from fans' love
To ensure immediate recognition to the Olympic medallists, the Sports Ministry on Tuesday
RBI issues guidelines for new bank licences Last Updated : 22 Feb 2013 07:43:42 PM IST File Photo
The Reserve Bank of India on Friday issued the much-awaited guidelines for new bank licences, allowing corporates and public sector entities with sound credentials and a minimum track record of 10 years to enter the banking business.
The Reserve Bank, which has laid down an elaborate 'fit and proper' criteria, has not excluded any category like brokerages, real estate companies from entering into the banking space as has been advocated by the Finance Ministry.
The final guidelines pave the way for corporate houses like Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group, Larsen & Toubro, Tatas, Mahindra and Mahindra, Life Insurance Corporation and Aditya Birla Group to enter the banking business.
"Entities/groups should have a past record of sound credentials and integrity, be financially sound with a successful track record of 10 years," it said.
The minimum paid-up capital for setting up a bank has been pegged at Rs 500 crore.The cap on the foreign investment, including FDI/FII and NRI, has been set at 49 per cent.
As per norms notified by RBI, on receipt of licence, promoter has to start operations within one year and list the company within three years of commencement of the business.
Also, new banks should open at least 25 per cent of branches in unbanked rural centres.
Those seeking to set up a bank would have to submit applications by July 1, 2013. The RBI will display names of applicants on its Website.
Before granting licences, RBI would seek feedback about applicants from other regulators, enforcement, investigative agencies like I-T Department, CBI, ED, as deemed appropriate.
The rules issued today is the culmination of three-year process. RBI will now begins taking applications for bank licenses for the first time in a decade.
At present, there are 26 public sector banks and 22 private sector banks. Only 35 per cent of India's adult population has accounts with banks and other financial institutions as compared to a global average of 50 per cent. It is 41 per cent in case of developing economies.
Following are the highlights of the Reserve Bank's guidelines for licensing of new banks in the private sector:
* Corporates, PSUs and NBFCs can set up a bank
* No bar on entities in sectors like brokerage, realty
* Minimum paid-up equity capital to be Rs 500 crore
* New banks to get listed within 3 years of business
* Foreign shareholding limited to 49% for first 5 years
* RBI to seek feedback on applicants' background from other regulators, Income Tax, CBI and ED
* Licence seeker should have 10 years of successful financial track record, sound credentials and integrity
* To comply with priority sector lending targets; open at least 25 per cent branches in unbanked rural areas
* Boards to have majority of independent directors
* Business plan should be realistic, viable and address financial inclusion
* Applications will be screened by RBI and referred to a high level advisory committee
* To ensure transparency, names of applicants will be placed on RBI's website
* Last date for applying for the licence is July 1
* Over the last two decades, RBI licensed 12 banks in private sector
* New banks were proposed in Budget speech for 2010-11
* RBI floated first discussion paper in August 2010.Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Salman Khan and Anushka Sharma's film Sultan trailer released on Tuesday.
- Aamir Khan, McKellen discuss Shakespeare at MAMI Film Club launch
- This is how Ranbir will seduce Aishwarya in Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- Yes, Virat Kohli and Anushka are back
- See Sofia Hayat before she became a nun
- Media has dishonoured Iulia: Salman
- Sushmita celebrates 22 years of her Miss Universe win
- Kangana Ranaut attends VERO MODA store launch, unveils new line
- Ayushmann tries Chaplin-inspired look for 'Meri Pyaari Bindu'
While playing with your pooch at home helps evoke love and compassion in you, researchers
The 'World's Ugliest Dog' won a Hero Award for helping people with disabilities
Bones of ancient, extinct species of bison uncovered
Hundreds witness Mercury transit in Delhi, scientists in Srinagar disappointed
Leading astronomers to see 'Transit of Mercury' from Srinagar
Video: Man showed private parts in bus beaten by women
Chinese smartphone manufacturer Coolpad on Friday launched a new smartphone that comes wit