- Diya Mirza wedding albumSome unknown facts of Nargis FakiriBirthday special: Bollywood\'s hot actress Nargis Fakhri turns 35Natasa eliminated from \'Bigg Boss 8\'Khiladi Akshay Kumar turns real-life hero for hottie Shruti HaasanNoyonita wins Miss Diva Universe 2014Why Deepika impresses Shah Rukh KhanTV presenter\'s nude photos leakedReal reason for Gauhar and Kushal spilitBollywood celebs at Shilpa\'s Diwali bash
London Olympic bronze medal winning shuttler Saina Nehwal will spearhead the Indian challe
Sensex falls to two week low at close Last Updated : 31 Jan 2013 05:00:16 PM IST File photo of Bombay stock exchange.
Hit by profit-booking in ICICI, HDFC Bank and RIL shares, the BSE benchmark Sensex on Thursday fell by 110 points to close at two-week low of 19,894.98 amid cautious trading on monthly expiry of derivative products.
Mixed global cues with a downward bias after the US Commerce Department yesterday surprised market by declaring contraction in the US economy for the fourth quarter also weighed on the domestic market sentiment, said brokers.
The BSE 30-share barometer initially touched a high of 20,008.83 but later fell back and remained in negative zone for the rest of the day. It concluded at 19,894.98, a fall of 110.02 points or 0.55 per cent.
Similarly, the NSE 50-issue Nifty also declined by 21.00 points or 0.35 per cent to close at 6,034.75.
Banks, mainly from private sector, and refinery stocks fell on selling while realty and PSU shares saw rise.
ICICI Bank fell 1.93 per cent after profit-booking set in after the private sector bank posted over 30 per cent growth in December quarter profit. HDFC Bank scrip lost 1.87 percent.
Sensex falls to 2-week low; profit-taking in ICICI Bank, RIL:
Reliance Industries fell 1.39 per cent after the first meeting of the newly formed Cabinet Committee on Investment yesterday failed to break the logjam over defence clearances to oil and gas activities in 39 offshore areas, including RIL's producing KG-D6 fields.
Tata Power was the biggest loser in Sensex with a fall of 2.17 per cent. L&T, Bharti Airtel and HUL also ended lower.
However, ITC was in keen demand with a rise of 1.25 per cent. Alongwith ITC, rise in Bhel, Sun Pharma, Hero MotoCorp and CIL cushioned the Sensex fall to some extent.
"The broader indices did see some profit booking on the F&O expiry. However, stock specific activity was vivid," said Milan Bavishi, Head Research, Inventure Growth & Securities.
PSU banks hogged limelight in the Nifty space as PNB showed improvement in asset quality. The stock ended over 9.37 per cent while Union Bank gained nearly 6 per cent.
Jet Airways shares surged 4.4 per cent on hopes of a deal with Etihad soon, said dealers.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
After Thuppakki, Vijay and AR Murugadoss are returning together with Kaththi. The trailer
- Diya Mirza wedding album
- Some unknown facts of Nargis Fakiri
- Birthday special: Bollywood's hot actress Nargis Fakhri turns 35
- Natasa eliminated from 'Bigg Boss 8'
- Khiladi Akshay Kumar turns real-life hero for hottie Shruti Haasan
- Why Deepika impresses Shah Rukh Khan
- Raveena joins 'cleanliness drive' campaign
- TV presenter's nude photos leaked
In a spooky mix-up, a woman in the UK was horrified at receiving text messages from her de
Korean handset maker Samsung on Tuesday launched its most expensive device in the country