- Décor hacks: How to make small living space look largerAppreciation for 'Thithi' nothing short of miracle: Raam ReddyHome for 10 days, Priyanka Chopra to decide on next Hindi filmsIt was Love In Paris for Deepika-RanveerSunny Leone to romance Arbaaz Khan in 'Tera Intezaar'Shruti Haasan set for 'Sabaash Naidu' shootSeen great highs, lows and still soldiered onSachin launches clothing brand, Riteish walks the ramp for itGet picture-perfect smile with these simple tips!How can men get rid of pimples
Being excited for your favourite football team, rooting for them and suffering vicariously
Rupee at one month high Last Updated : 06 Dec 2012 08:15:11 PM IST File photo of Indian currency rupee.
The rupee on Thursday rose by 40 paise to touch a one-month high of 54.14 against the US dollar on hopes of strong fund flows, after BSP chief Mayawati decided to lend her party's support to government on FDI issue in the Rajya Sabha.
Forex dealers said firm local equities, signs of consistent capital inflows and sustained dollar selling by exporters also boosted the rupee sentiment.
The rupee swung between 54.04 and 54.58 during the day at the Interbank Foreign Exchange (Forex) market.
However, recovery in stocks after the news of support by BSP Chief Mayawati on FDI issue to the government helped the rupee to bounce back and end the day at at 54.14, a rise of 40 paise, or 0.73 per cent.
This is the highest level of rupee since November 2 when it had closed at 53.81.
Meanwhile, the BSE benchmark Sensex rose by almost 95 points to 19,186.24.
"The only major factor that boosted rupee today was BSP's support to the government on allowing foreign direct investment (FDI) in the multi-brand retail. Investors cheered the prospects of higher foreign capital inflows on this news," Dhanlaxmi Bank Executive Vice-President Srinivasa Raghavan said.
Foreign Institutional Investors (FIIs) infused USD 175.41 million in the stock markets yesterday, as per Sebi data.
The dollar index was down by a mere 0.008 per cent against a basket of six major currencies.
"The sharp appreciation in the rupee was seen after BSP's Chief Mayawati (BSP) came in and said she will support the FDI in retail in Rajya Sabha. This further boosted the positive sentiments in the market and made the rupee gain against the US dollar. ," said Abhishek Goenka, founder and CEO, India Forex Advisors.
The premium for the forward dollar closed lower on fresh receipts by exporters.
The benchmark six-month forward dollar premium payable in May declined to 168-169-1/2 paise from Wednesday's close of 171-172 paise.
Far-forward contracts maturing in November also eased to 316-1/2-318-1/2 paise from 317-1/2-319-1/2 paise.
The RBI has fixed the reference rate for the US dollar at 54.4650 and for euro at 71.1150.
The rupee advanced further against the pound sterling to 87.21 from previous close of 87.85 and remained firm to end at 70.75 per euro from 71.39.
It also hardened against the Japanese yen to 65.72 per 100 yen from last close of 66.36.
Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Director Raam Reddy, whose Kannada film “Thithi” won the National Film Award, says tha
- Would love to work with Vidya, Aditya: Kunaal Roy Kapur
- Subhash Ghai lauds Kapil Sharma for not disrespecting icons
- Sonam shocked with 'overreaction' over Tanmay Bhat's controversial video
- Ray would have used computers differently for illustrations
- 'Animation not yet considered storytelling medium'
- Katy Perry's Twitter account hacked
- Home for 10 days, Priyanka Chopra to decide on next Hindi films
- Amitabh Bachchan, Anupam Kher mourn producer Vikas Mohan's death
We imagine the Sun as a giant burning furnace that brings sunlight to us but NASA's Solar
E-cigarette use in Britain almost doubled in two years
Virtual dog to teach robots to perform tasks intelligently
The 'World's Ugliest Dog' won a Hero Award for helping people with disabilities
Bones of ancient, extinct species of bison uncovered
Hundreds witness Mercury transit in Delhi, scientists in Srinagar disappointed
Consumer electronics and home appliances major Videocon on Tuesday launched 4G-enabled Kry