- Range Rover factory in China inauguratedRemedy on Dhanteras to become richRekha's vanity van tantrumsPICS: Celebrate eco-friendly DiwaliAamir, Ekta Kapoor to host Diwali card partyBill Clinton\'s Girlfriend Monica Lewinsky joins TwitterEngagement on cards for Anushka-Virat!Shilpa Shetty, Raj Kundra celebrates Diwali with friendsRanveer Singh\'s bald look for \'Bajirao Mastaani\'Why did Dia Mirza interrupt the priest at her wedding?
South African Paralympic athlete Oscar Pistorius has been sentenced to five years in priso
FEMA amendments tabled in Lok Sabha Last Updated : 30 Nov 2012 04:18:44 PM IST v
Five amendments, notified by the Reserve Bank of India between May and October this year, were tabled in the House by Minister of State for Finance Namo Narayan Meena during Zero Hour.
The notifications were tabled as per the Section 48 of the 1999 Act which requires their acceptance by both Houses of Parliament.
Opposition parties, particularly CPI(M), has been demanding a voting on the amendments to FEMA allowing foreign investment in multi-brand retail.
CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury made it clear that his party would move statutory resolutions in both Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha to disapprove these amendments.
He said the CPI(M) would use "all options" available in the rules of business in Parliament to thwart government's attempts to implement FDI in retail.
Maintaining that the RBI amendments in FEMA to allow FDI in multi-brand retail would have to be voted within a time- frame as laid down in the Foreign Exchange Management (FEMA) Act itself, he said "due to its obduracy, the government has agreed to have a vote on the issue twice" -- once when the FDI issue comes up for vote after a debate and the second time after the RBI amendments are tabled in Parliament to amend FEMA to allow FDI in retail.
But by tabling the amendments in Lok Sabha, the government may go in for voting on the issue only once when the two Houses take up discussion on the FDI in retail issue under rules entailing voting.
Yechury has been saying that the decision to permit FDI in retail trade was not a mere executive decision and could only be taken by the Parliament and "the authority to do so is beyond the mandate of the executive as decreed by our Constitution."
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
The makers of Rang Rasiya have released the romantic song Kahae Sataye, featuring Randeep
- Kareena flaunts cleavage at IIFA 2014, view pic
- Rekha's vanity van tantrums
- Cop rescues Ashish Vidyarthi from drowning on set
- Aamir, Ekta Kapoor to host Diwali card party
- Detective Byomkesh Bakshy: Exclusive Official Teaser
- Shahid, Farhan doing funny rap at IIFA 2014, watch video
- Engagement on cards for Anushka-Virat!
- Shilpa Shetty, Raj Kundra celebrates Diwali with friends
In a spooky mix-up, a woman in the UK was horrified at receiving text messages from her de
Korean handset maker Samsung on Tuesday launched its most expensive device in the country