- Pics: B-Town celebrates P.V. Sindhu's Olympic win'Happy Bhag Jayegi': A light-hearted, feel-good filmCelebrities hail Sakshi Malik's Olympic winPink is not a film about rape, says Amitabh BachchanOn Rakhi, TV actors recount memories with 'partners in crime'B-Town celebs wish Navroz Mubarak to ParsisBritish-era bunker unearthed in Raj BhavanLeaked: Sex Scenes from award winning film 'Parched'Entertainment Being an actress, I can be anybody: Priyanka ChopraCheck out Salman's 'Tubelight' first look
With India, a country of over 1.2 billion people, managing to win only two medals in the j
Bharti Walmart suspends 5 including CFO in bribery probe Last Updated : 23 Nov 2012 12:25:00 PM IST Bharti Walmart suspends 5 including CFO in bribery probe
Bharti Walmart has suspended five people, including CFO Pankaj Madan, as part of an ongoing global investigation by the US retail giant against alleged corrupt practices.
It is understood that more heads may roll as the investigation progresses in the coming days in the company,which has now decided to put a halt to opening new cash and carry wholesale stores in India pending the probe.Confirming the suspension, a Bharti Walmart spokesperson said:" We are committed to conducting a complete and thorough investigation. It would be inappropriate for us to comment further until we have finished the investigation."
Madan and four out of the five-member legal team of Bharti Walmart were suspended on Tuesday as part of the ongoing investigation over allegations of corrupt practices against the company in foreign markets, including India, a source said.
The charges against these people could not be ascertained. On whether the company has decided to put on hold store expansion till the probe completed, the spokesperson said: "We are committed to the Indian market. We remain excited about the opportunity to grow our business in one of the world's most vibrant economies, expand opportunities for farmers and help lower the cost of living for families in India."
Bharti Walmart is a 50:50 joint venture between Bharti Group and Walmart stores Inc for running of wholesale stores under the Best Price Modern Wholesale brand.
Last week Walmart had said it was investigating allegations of violation of Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) of the US, that bars bribing officials of foreign governments, in India and other countries including China and Brazil.
"We have inquiries or investigations regarding allegations of potential FCPA violations in a number of foreign markets where we operate, including but not limited to Brazil, China and India. This is in addition to the ongoing investigation in Mexico," the company had said.
In March 2011, the US-based company had started a worldwide review of its policies, practices and internal controls for FCPA compliance.
The company, however, had not made any specific charges of corruption in any of the countries mentioned by it."As these matters are currently under review, it would be inappropriate for us to comment further on the specific allegations until we have concluded the investigations," the company had said.
Walmart had also said: "When allegations are reported or identified, we, together with our third party advisors,conduct inquiries and when warranted, we open investigations." The Reserve bank of India has already asked Enforcement Directorate (ED) to probe Walmart's investment in an arm of Bharti enterprises -- Cedar Support Services Ltd -- for alleged violations of forex laws.
Bharti Enterprises has, however, rejected the allegations that it had violated any rule in this regard. The company had said all the procedures were as per the "law of the land".
Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Director-producer Shoojit Sircar says Amitabh Bachchan, who is playing a lawyer in the for
- It's a girl for Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput
- Review: Mechanic Resurrection
- OMG!!! Ranbir is mocking Katrina's text messages???
- Palak Muchhal in tears while recording song for 'Naamkarann'
- Would love to go out-of-the-box, says Abhay Deol
- Jackie Chan is Renny Harlin's icon
- 'Freaky Ali' team to launch menswear label in Dubai
- Taapsee, Neeraj Pandey team up for 'Meera'
The world's largest natural pearl will be put on display in the Philippines soon, after th
South Korean electronics conglomerate LG on Friday launched a new X Cam smartphone in Indi
- Jio does Apple, people throng Reliance Stores for free 4G test SIM
- Microsoft acquires Genee to accelerate intelligent experiences in Office 365
- Gionee launches selfie-focussed smartphone in India
- Microsoft's OneNote tool now available for Mac
- Huawei P9 with dual-lens camera launched in India at Rs 39,999